Insulin: hormone secreted by the pancreas in response to high levels of glucose in the blood. It is basically a signal for the cell to take up glucose.
What is insulin sensitivity? How sensitive the body’s cells are in response to insulin.
- High insulin sensitivity: allows cells to use more blood glucose effectively.
What is glucose?
- Glucose can feed every cell in your body.
- It is stored in the liver, blood and muscles.
- Glucose is extracted from the blood by transporters called GLUT-4.
- Without an improved insulin sensitivity, GLUT-4 will not transport glucose from the blood = an increased blood sugar levels.
Importance of having an increased insulin sensitivity
- When insulin can’t signal the cell to uptake glucose, you end up with increased level of glucose & insulin in the blood and the body is not able to use either of them.
- This will then cause cortisol, the stress hormone to be released. This is a survival mechanism for the body to deal with the blood glucose.
- This will cause lower energy levels, increased fat stored.
HIGH BLOOD SUGAR LEVELS:
- Puts pressure on the pancreas to increase insulin production to be able to transport that glucose out.
- Increased risk of diabetes.
- Higher risk of heart disease, kidney disease and stroke.
TOP 4 WAYS TO IMPROVE INSULIN SENSITIVITY?
- Get out of a caloric surplus (stop overfeeding the cells): being in a constant caloric surplus means that these cells are exposed to insulin by eating an excessive amount of carbs. Eventually, this will lead the cell to become insulin resistant. Therefore, more insulin will be required to uptake glucose.
- Strength training & cardiovascular endurance
- Inflammation: Inflammation interferes with the cellular response to insulin.
- Non-fragmented night’s sleep
How does insulin sensitivity increase with exercise?
- When performing aerobic exercise or resistance training stimulates certain cell transporters that aid in transporting glucose from the blood into the muscle.
- During exercise there is an increase in blood flow, thus, increasing the surface area available for the transport of glucose.
- Physical exercise promotes the breakdown from of energy into a molecule called AMPK, increased nitric oxide production in the cell and calcium cycling in muscle contraction which promotes AS160.
- AS160 (protein in the body) is important because it is what will promote cell transporters to uptake that glucose
Now ask yourself: “Am I overweight?” “How is my diet” “Do I consistently consume over the recommended amount of carbohydrates each day?” “How is my blood pressure?”
Now ask yourself this very important question:
ARE YOU READY TO GET BETTER?
Come visit us at Infinity Sports Institute at our Edgewater Location, located on 163 NE 24 ST.
About Infinity Sports Institute
Infinity Sports Institute is dedicated to optimizing the human experience through sports science, sports medicine, and technology. We believe Physical, Mental and Social components are pillars to optimizing the human experience. Call (786) 591-7586 or email us at email@example.com.